Monday 2 April 2012

A little Closer to Heaven in Devon


It was Palm Sunday yesterday and as a Curate's wife, I should have been in church. I could have been processing with a donkey or I should have been singing worship songs. But I was singing praises from the rooftop of Devon! It was my birthday and the most beautiful sunny morning. Dartmoor, with its vast open spaces and stillness, called. The Curate and I were up before the crowds and I proved (to myself) that I am still young enough to climb to the top of the highest Tor on Dartmoor (Yes Tor) which is 619 metres above sea level. It is not the highest point on Dartmoor, Higher Willhays is supposedly a metre higher ...but that doesn't rate as a Tor - just a high hill. So The Curate, The Collie and I climbed up and down before lunch and before the day walkers arrived.
We crossed the dam at Meldon reservoir, looking across it's inky blue surface to  Dartmoor. Walking across the dam you see a serene water scene on one side and a deep valley on the other. It makes you appreciate how deep the reservoir must be.  The air was clear and cool, perfect walking weather and  we were alone.  We had to be back in time to have lunch with younger son and girlfriend (NQT), so we set off with a good pace over Longstone Hill.

It was one of those walks where you had to stop and stare, if only to catch your breathe as you are climbing upwards for most of the way. As the early mists cleared, the views were breath taking. We thought that we might be able to see the North coast and our old home. It was truely awe inspiring!. The moor is empty here, there is little gorse and no trees. The Collie still managed to find a tennis ball which he insisted we threw for him all the way up and down Yes Tor. 
 







There is such a sense of peace on a day like this ... .  

What a great way to start a birthday!

9 comments:

  1. It was my birthday too yesterday - so I have to say Happy Birthday (and that ALL the best people are born on 1 April)! I celebrated less energetically by having lunch with my family having been to see the Hockney exhibition on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Harriet:
    What a lovely start to your birthday and we do hope that the lunch was equally as good as your walk and climb most certainly appear to have been.

    It was deemed too cold to process outside with our Palm Sunday crosses so we all, that is to say the tiny Anglican community in Budapest, walked around the ante-room of the church which is, in fact, a converted cellar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated Birthday greetings, and thank you for the beautiful, breathtaking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! What lovely pictures. I do wish that I lived in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harriet, a belated but very Happy Birthday to you! From your wonderful photos, I'd say you spent the day well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belated Happy Birthday:) What a wonderful way to celebrate; such gorgeous awesome views. [My youngest son managed to wait until the 2nd]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that you had a happy day out. I celebrate mine on Thursday too, wrong time of year as we shall be up to our eyes in services!

    Tootallburd has been terminated I'm afraid .You can find me at https://theministersmrs.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I missed this, Harriet and I hope you had a really lovely birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The area around Meldon is just so stunning. We went up a couple of months ago when the tors round there had icicles a couple of feet long hanging from them - beautiful! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete